- Prep time: 10 minutes
Tighten and detox your face with this luxe DIY CBD bentonite clay and Moroccan red clay face mask.
Clay masks have been a staple in beauty products since before they were called beauty products. Clay masks are rich in natural minerals and micronutrients that nourish skin as well as being an amazing way to combat oily breakout-prone skin. Clay masks work by drawing impurities from the skin while minimizing pores. We’ve added our Full Spectrum Hemp CBD Oil from organically grown hemp to add extra healing properties to aid in combating inflammation, irritation as well as healing. Clay masks with bentonite clay and red clay (also known as Indian clay) are best to normal to oily skin and may not be best for dry or cracked skin. If you’d like to skip straight to the DIY Detox CBD Mask Recipe CLICK HERE.
- How is CBD beneficial to skin?In a recent study exploring the affects of CBD oil in treating the most common scar producing skin ailments; psoriasis and atopic dermatitis over the course of three months. The outcome was determined that topical administration of CBD ointment, without any THC, is a safe and effective non-invasive alternative for improve the quality of life in patients with some skin disorders, especially on inflammatory background. Beyond helping reduce the negative affects of skin ailments, CBD can also help reduce outbreaks from acne. And, unlike a lot of treatments on the market with dubious benefits and questionable safety, CBD oil has been proven time and time again to be one of the safest things you can put on your skin.
- What are the benefits of using a clay mask?Clays have an enormous relative surface area and are thus highly absorbent, and can be used to draw out excess oil, impurities, toxins, and bacteria on the skin and in the pores (3). Clays also encourage dead skin cells to slough off, leaving the skin feeling smooth, clean, and refreshed. Clays have also been studied extensively for their antibacterial properties and can be effective in treating skin infections caused by antibiotic-resistant bacteria (4). These antibacterial properties contribute to their ability to help control blemishes and breakouts when used topically. (from The Curious Coconut)
DIY Detox CBD Clay Mask Ingredients
- 30mg MCBD Full Spectrum CBD Tincture (for this recipe we used our 1000mg in natural flavor but you can use any strength tincture to reach 30mg, measurements below)
- 1 tsp Bentonite Clay
- 1 tsp Moroccan Red Clay
- 3 drops of Frankincense Essential Oil
- 1 tsp raw Honey
- Enough water to make a paste
- 2oz glass, plastic or reusable container to store mask
Directions for Making Detox Mask
For this recipe we’re using the 1000mg Strength of MCBD Full Spectrum CBD Tincture in Natural flavor. Each full dropper of 1000mg oil contains approximately 33.34mg of CBD so just a little shy of a full dropper will work for this recipe.
Measure all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl reserving the water for last. Once your ingredients are portioned into your mixing bowl, quickly incorporate them and then begin spooning in your water 1tsp at a time.
DROPPER DOSING BY TINCTURE STRENGTH
Have an MCBD tincture at home and wondering how much you should use per recipe? Below is a quick reference guide to how strong each tincture is by dropper.
- 250 mg bottle =30-1 ml servings that equal 8.33mg CBD each
- 500 mg bottle = 30-1 ml serving that equal 16.67mg CBD each
- 1000 mg bottle = 30-1 ml serving that equal 33.34mg CBD each
- 1500 mg bottle = 30-1 ml serving that equal 50mg CBD each
Incorporate water slowly 1tsp at a time stirring each time with a metal or rubber spatula. A wooden spoon will absorb the moisture and clay affecting your recipe.
Once you’re happy with the consistency of your mask, whip the lumps out to get a smooth consistency that will spread evenly on your skin.
Spoon your mask into the containers of your choosing. This recipe should make 2-2oz containers. Extra mask can be stored in mason jars if you don’t have containers available.
Now is a great time to test the mask on a patch of skin for any potential allergy triggers or staining of the skin from the red clay. If you prefer to do this in the shower, that works as well.
Directions for Use
Apply detox face mask to your face in a thin layer after allergy testing a spot on your hand or wrist. Allow your mask to dry for approximately :15 minutes and then rinse with a warm washcloth or in the shower. The clay will draw impurities from the skin, sooth inflammation and irritation as well as tighten enlarged pores.